UpdatedMonday January 20, 2020 byMeridian Youth.
U10 Division Rules
- 5 Run Rule: If a team scores 5 runs in one inning, they will take the field and the defensive team will come to bat.
- 10U Pitchers are limited to 8 innings per week and pitching distance is 35 feet.
- If a player-pitcher throws a fourth ball to a batter, the hitting team’s coach will assume the strike count and finish pitching to that batter. The coach-pitcher cannot walk the batter, but can strike out the batter. Once the at-bat is completed, the coach returns to the dugout and the player-pitcher resumes pitching to the next batter. A batter does not get to take her base if she is hit by a pitch from a coach-pitcher. If a batter is hit by a pitch by a player-pitcher, the batter has the option to either take her base or stay in the box and continue her at-bat. When the coach-pitcher is on the field, they shall remain at the rubber at all times and move only when the play is over, or to avoid being hit by a batted ball, or to avoid interfering with a defensive play. The coach-pitcher is not be allowed to coach during the pitch.
- When the coach-pitcher is on the rubber, the player-pitcher may stand to the left or right of the coach-pitcher and must have one foot inside the circle.
- There is no stealing allowed when the coach-pitcher is on the field.
- Each 10U team may field up to ten defensive players at a time. If used, the additional defender must be positioned in the outfield.
- The batting order shall consist of all rostered players present at each game. Free defensive substitution will be allowed unless otherwise prohibited by rule (i.e. if a starting pitcher is removed from the game defensively, they may re-enter as the pitcher, unless removed as pitcher due to a second trip to the mound in the same inning).
- 10U baserunners are allowed to steal when a pitched ball is released by the pitcher. The penalty for leaving the base before a pitch is released will be an automatic out.
- Baserunners may not advance more than one base on a ball that has not been batted, regardless of any attempts by the defense to put the runner(s) out.
- There is no straight-stealing allowed in this division.
- A player cannot advance to home on a ball that has not been batted.
- 10U teams may play games with as few as 7 players. Any player(s) arriving late can be inserted into the batting order at any time.
- 10U baserunners are allowed to slide.
- Games shall begin promptly, and the start time will be noted in the official scorebook. No new inning will be started after one-hour fifteen minutes, and a hard-stop will occur at one hour thirty minutes. No extra innings will be played due to a tie score. The home team shall provide the official scorebook/scorekeeper.
- The league will make its best effort to provide an umpire for each game. In the event there is no league-provided umpire available, the teams will be asked ahead of time to provide a volunteer home-plate umpire. Field umpires are not provided by the league; however, the teams can provide their own volunteer field umpires for games.